Temporary events notices

Temporary events notices

Temporary event notice (TEN)

You need to submit a temporary event notice (TEN) if you are planning to use a premises or open space for a one-off event and intend to provide one or more of these licensable activities:

  • provision of regulated entertainment
  • provision of late night refreshment
  • sale by retail of alcohol
  • supply of alcohol by or on behalf of a club

As the organiser of the event, you must submit duplicated copies of the notice plus a fee of £21 no later than 10 clear working days before the day the event.

Please note that the notification period must be 10 clear working days prior to the event. This does not include the day the notice was submitted to council nor the day of the event itself. Also remember that Bank Holidays do not count as a working day.

A copy of the notice must also be given to the relevant chief officer of police and Environmental Enforcement no later than 10 clear working days before the day on which the event is to start.

Who can apply

  • You must be an individual aged over 18.
  • If you are not a personal licence holder, you can give a maximum of 5 TENs per year.
  • If you are a personal licence holder, you can give a maximum of 50 TENs per year.

Limitations of a TEN

  • The event can have no more than 499 people in attendance
  • The event must not exceed 168 hours in duration.
  • No more than 12 TENs can be given in respect of any particular premises in any year.
  • Any particular premises can have a maximum total duration of 21 days in any year.

There must be a minimum of 24 hours between event notices.

Provided that the criteria set out above are met, only the police and Environmental Enforcement may intervene to prevent an event. The police may agree to a modification of the notice and conditions may be added.

Late TENs

It is now possible to apply for “late” Temporary Event Notices by giving between 5 and 9 working days notice, although there is a limit of 10 Late Temporary Event Notices each calendar year for an individual holding a Personal Licence, and 2 for those not.

Applications On line

You can apply for a Temporary Event Notice here, with us. You will need to answer some basic questions and send it to us. One of our expert team members will check the answers, complete the application form and send it with the appropriate fee and documentation to the Local Authority.

Alternatively, call us on 020 7241 3636 or complete the free enquiry form below for a more in-depth discussion of your needs.

Free Online Enquiry