Frequently Asked Questions

A licence granted to an individual person that enables that person to authorise sales of alcohol from any premises that holds a Premises Licence.

You can sit the examination before you are 18, but you must be at least 18 years old to hold a Personal Licence.

If an applicant for a Personal Licence has unspent ‘relevant offences‘ or ‘foreign offences‘, the licensing authority can grant the licence only after having consulted the local police. If the police then object on the grounds that the ‘Crime Reduction‘ objective of the Licensing Act would be undermined by granting the application, then the application must be refused. The applicant can appeal the refusal and this will require a hearing. In practical terms, if an applicant has an unspent offence the police will object and in most cases the licence will end up not being granted. An offence is ‘spent‘ after a period of time – 5, 7 or 10 years depending on seriousness. Offences which are never ‘spent‘ are those where the offender was sentenced to 32 months in prison or more.

Being under 18; not having an accredited qualification (NCPLH (England & Wales) or SCPLH (Scotland); having an unspent criminal offence or forfeiting a licence (having it revoked) in the past 5 years.

A drink driving offence is a ‘relevant offence‘ and the police will object to an application from any person with an unspent drink driving conviction.